“Real-estate is not about property it’s about people.”
– Sir Leslie Hooker, Founder of LJ Hooker, 1928
The story of Sir Leslie, an orphan of Chinese ancestry who went on to build a company that sits at the heartland of Australian society, through the Great Depression, WWII and countless real-estate cycles, culminating in a knighthood from Queen Elizabeth II is an inspiration to all. LJ Hooker and all its people consider themselves family building the LJ Hooker Culture on six founding principles:
The company’s innovative and pioneering spirit was instilled by Sir Leslie who was an avid international traveler seeking out global best practices to accelerate the development and prosperity of LJ Hooker and Australia:
- 1st real-estate services network with nationwide coverage
- 1st to provide a one-stop-shop customer experience vertically integrating residential property from development to sales to finance to management
- 1st to launch Real-Estate Investment Trusts – offering Australians for the first time investments into safe and secure real-estate backed trusts (at its peak LJ Hooker managed 31 REITs)
- 1st developer of large format retail malls which now dominate suburbia (for example Warringah Mall and Pacific Fair)
- 1st developer of housing estates, making the Australian dream of home ownership a reality and licensed cutting edge construction technology from USA “drywall” (went on to become nations largest homebuilder supplying one in five new homes over several decades)
- 1st Australian property Empire, a diversified real-estate conglomerate with synergies between business divisions – developing, financing, selling, investing and managing property across office, residential, industrial, retail, hotels and retirement villages.
- 1st to bring franchising to Australia, well before McDonalds or KFC, which encouraged small business ownership throughout the country (today LJ Hooker franchise system has 730 offices throughout Australasia)
- 1st owner of more than 7 million acres (the same size as Taiwan) of pastoral land and livestock.
- 1st Australian real-estate company on the web (today clear market leader with 1 million unique visitors monthly)
- 1st and only real-estate brand with 80% national recall, built over 88 years of service excellence and innovative marketing – “Nobody Does It Better”
LJ Hooker has a rich heritage spanning 88 years that shaped the Australian real-estate landscape. In 2009, the company returned to the family through a buyout lead by Sir Leslie’s grandson, LJ Hooker Chairman, L Janusz Hooker.
Today, LJ Hooker is one of the largest real estate services networks in Australasia with over 8,000 people in 730 franchises across seven countries, sales in excess of $20 billion and managing a property portfolio worth $90 billion. In keeping with LJ Hooker’s tradition of trailblazing, the company is poised to be the real estate leader of this century.